Nicola has assisted the team in various significant matters, giving her regulatory, competition and commercial law practice experience across many African jurisdictions.
Nicola formed part of the team which:
- Successfully represented Oryx Energies before the South African Competition Tribunal in relation to its cylinder deposit investigation;
- Assisted a client in relation to the South African competition authorities’ investigation into the automotive parts sector;
- Assisted a client in the FMCG sector in completing a request for information following allegations of exclusionary conduct, which resulted in a non-referral of the complaint;
- Assisted with the the acquisition of a large listed German industrial entity of a listed German entity active in the chemicals market before the competition agencies in South Africa, Morocco and Zimbabwe;
- Assisted with Eutelsat SA’s acquisition of OneWeb Holdings Limited before the South African Competition Commission;
- Assisted with the acquisition of a Luxembourgish company of a French company active in the plastics market before the competition authorities in South Africa, Nigeria, COMESA and Morocco;
- Representing several clients in relation to leniency applications before the South African Competition Commission;
- Representing a multinational client in relation to the recently announced Fresh Produce Market Inquiry;
- Advised a multinational energy company in relation to the potential acquisition of fuel from a major South African state-owned entity;
- Represented a major international parent company in the broader life sciences sector in acquiring a controlling interest in one of the top three pharmaceutical wholesalers in Southern Africa and in doing so ensured the successful conclusion of share purchase agreements with 300 individual shareholders;
- Continuing to advise high-profile individuals and international corporates in relation to the subsequent prosecutions and investigations which have emanated from the South African State Capture Commission of Inquiry (Zondo Commission).
- Nicola presented on the importance of robust whistleblowing regulations and compliance mechanisms from a business perspective at an event titled “Whistleblowers: True champions and defenders of human rights, democracy and the rule of law” together with co-panellists Deputy Minister of Justice John Jeffry’s, Professor Firoz Cachalia, Farzin Illich, and others.
- Nicola served as an assistant researcher at the Development of the Rule of Law Programme at Stellenbosch University for a term of 6 months.
Nicola is a contributor to African Antitrust, a leading resource for competition law developments across Africa. Recent contributions include:
- Co-authored ‘Tourvest wins on appeal in precedent-setting cartel case: you don’t become a “competitor” solely by virtue of contracting’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Competition Commission Releases Online Intermediation Platform Market Inquiry Provisional Summary Report’ [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘African antitrust authority edges closer to becoming a price regulator’ [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘South African Competition Tribunal Hands Down Another Price-Gouging Case: Face Masks Supplier Fined Maximum Penalty’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Mozambican Competition Authority Issues Ministerial Decree to Amend Merger Filing Fees’ [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘Update: Nigeria Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission Publishes Revised Merger Filing Fees’ [Click here to access]
Nicola is a contributor to African Antifraud, a resource that provides African perspectives on FCPA, bribery, fraud and corruption cases. Recent contributions include:
- Authored ‘The Financial Services Commission of Mauritius has issued Draft Guidance Notes on Decentralised Autonomous Organisations for Public Consultation’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘A new anti-corruption enforcer on the South African horizon?’ [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘Mauritius relieved from the European Union and FATF AML/CTF shackles [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘South Africa: State Capture Report’ [Click here to access]
Nicola is the editor of African Trade Remedies, a resource that provides updates on trade developments across the African continent. Recent contributions include:
- Authored ‘The Impact Of The Global Division Of Trade Into Two Blocs On Sub-Saharan Africa’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘ITAC Recommends That Patel Impose Significant Duties On China And India’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Global Fragmentation And Foreign Direct Investment Developments In South Africa’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Promising Prospects Ahead Of The 5th South African Investment Conference’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘BRICS Economic Indaba Hosted By South African Chapter As Country Takes Chairship’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘The Impact Of The Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism On South African Raw Minerals Exports’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Progress Is Being Made On The Joint Statement Initiative – But Are Some Countries Being Left Behind?’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘An Overview of Free Trade in Africa: Regional Value Chains, the AfCFTA Guided Trade Initiative and Sustainable Trade Measures’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Increasing Tariffs in the South African Tyre Industry’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘African Mining Indaba Brings Major Investment In Africa To Light’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘The Potential for Africa to Make Strides in the Global Supply of Rare Earth Elements’ [Click here to access]
Nicola also co-authored “The Risk of Price Regulation: A Review of Recent Abuse of Dominance Cases in South Africa” together with Michael-James Currie and Gina Lodolo, as published in Lloyds’ List Intelligence Competition Law Insights Vol. 21, Issue 8.