Co-Authored “Assessing the state of play of digital markets within the African context” for the 8th Annual Competition and Economic Regulation (ACER) 2023 Conference, held in Mauritius.
Co-authored “The Interplay between Antitrust Law and Intellectual Property Law in South Africa: A Critical Analysis of the OECD Recommendation on Intellectual Property Rights and Competition” published with the International In-House Counsel Journal [Click here to access]
Co-Authored “Buyer Power in emerging markets – economic or consumer protection driven’ published for the 7th Annual Competition and Economic Regulation (ACER) 2022 Conference, held in Senga Bay, Malawi [Click here to access]
Co-authored for Mondaq “Kenya: Dominance Comparative Guide”. [Click here to access]
Co-authored ‘Intellectual property rights litigation and competition law violations in South Africa’ for the 17th Annual Competition and Regulation Summer School and Conference (CRESSE) for presentation at Rodos Palace, Greece in June 2023.
Co-Authored “Intellectual property rights litigation and competition law violations in South Africa” to be presented at CRESSE’s 17th International Conference “Advances in the Analysis of Competition Policy and Regulation”
Co-authored for Mondaq “Kenya: Dominance Comparative Guide”. Accessible [Click here to access]
Articles and Blogs
Co-authored “The interconnect between Competition Law and Intellectual Property: Unpacking the Competition Tribunal’s Decision in Makarenge Electrical Industries (Pty) Ltd t/a Wilec v Allbro (Pty) Ltd and Competition Commission of South Africa ” IP Briefs Vol 2 Issue 9 https://saiipl.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/IP-BRIEFS-Cover-Vol-2-Issue-9-June-2022-Published.pdf
Joshua is a contributor to African Antitrust, a leading resource for competition law developments across Africa. Recent articles or contributions include:
- Authored ‘Kenyan competition watchdog launches inquiry into Animal Feeds Value Chain’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Criminal cartels & dilipidated energy networks: Will South Africa act?
- Co-authored ‘Market Inquiry here, Market Inquiry there, Market Inquiry everywhere! – 3 Market Inquiries in as many months’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Zambia: New Board of Commissioners Signals Possible End of Increased Enforcement’ [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘New Guidelines on the Exchange of Competitively Sensitive Information: 5 years with little change? [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘Insurance companies raided by antitrust agency for alleged rate-setting collusion’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘South African Competition Commission to litigate against the excessive pricing of breast cancer treatment drug’ [Click here to access]
- Authored ‘Revisiting the Burger King prohibition: [Unintended] Consequences & [Possible] Reconsideration’ [click here to access] which has since been featured in Competition Policy International.
Joshua is a contributor to African Antifraud, a resource that provides African perspectives on FCPA, bribery, fraud and corruption cases. Recent articles or contributions include:
- Co-authored ‘Mauritius relieved from the European Union and FATF AML/CTF shackles [Click here to access]
- Co-authored ‘Special Tribunal orders former Transet Executive to pay back R26.4M in secret profits, more predicted to follow’
Joshua has been part of the research team under John Oxenham, who recently represented Business at the OECD on behalf of South Africa and the region.
Joshua has given compliance presentations to clients in respect of the Financial Intelligence Centre Act.
Joshua presented his paper “Assessing the state of play of digital markets within the African context” for the 8th Annual Competition and Economic Regulation (ACER) 2023 Conference, held in Mauritius.
Joshua presented on regulatory challenges in cross border payments in Africa at the Evolution of Cross Border Payment Conference hosted by Trade Conferences International.
Joshua moderated a panel discussion on foreign direct investment and trade at the ‘Opportunities for investment in Kenya: Strategies for successfully navigating the regulatory landscape’ event hosted by Primerio in Nairobi, Kenya.
Joshua presented on developments to South Africa’s anti-money laundering framework at the Trade Conferences International’s Regulatory Risk & Compliance Conference to over 170 delegates from South Africa’s top financial institutions.
Joshua, together with representatives from international regulators and representatives from South Africa’s crypto asset market, regularly host a series of webinars covering developments in the African crypto market.